two happy seniors with babies

Receiving Financial Support For Home Care

When it comes to financial support for home care, things can get very confusing. The good news is that many people are in fact entitled to funding from their local council. This will be calculated via a means test to see what capital you have and what help you can receive.

Financial Support for Home Care: The Assessment

The council will conduct a financial assessment to establish how much financial support for home care they can give you.

The assessment takes into consideration your capital, savings and income. Your capital includes bonds, property and shares. Savings is your money in the bank. Income factors in your pension, benefits or wages if you do any work.

If your income, capital and savings are valued at less than £14,250, then your local authority will require you to pay a part of your income towards the cost of your care, but none of your savings or capital.

If your financial assets are calculated to be between £14,250 and £23,250, then you will be entitled to some support from the council. You will still need to pay £1 for every £250 you have put away between those amounts. This is in addition to a contribution from your income.

If you have savings, capital and income that goes above £23,250, your local authority will expect you to finance your own care costs.

If your savings fall below these thresholds, you can ask for a reassessment. The council will only be able to help with funding from when you get in touch, so make sure you make them aware in plenty of time.

If you need care at home, the cost of your house will not be included in the financial assessment. The same applies if you go into a care home and your partner or a disabled dependant is still living in the home.

Other benefits

It is worth your while looking into Personal Independence Payments and Attendance Allowance to help towards your home care. These are not included in the means test and you don’t have to pay tax on them.

You may also get access to pension credits or Universal Credit depending on your age.

For more information on the types of support available, the NHS provides a dedicated resource page.

What happens next?

Once your care costs have been calculated and your contribution is determined, you will pay this on a monthly-basis.

Direct payments

You can now opt to receive your council funding as a direct payment so you can choose which home care provider you want to work with and you pay the cost directly to them.

If you need any assistance establishing what help you are entitled to, then we will be able to put you in contact with an advisor who can talk you through the process and suggest further help you may be eligible for.

Read more from Apollo Care North Liverpool

What is Care in My Eyes?

So proud of my team!

Feel free to share this article